Thursday, April 9, 2009

thanks, but...no thanks

Advice. It's inevitable, right?

It seems like at every single juncture in your life, somebody's got some for you. In high school, it's advice on how to find out what you want to do and where you're going. In college, its what kind of job and when to get married. At your wedding, its marriage advice...LOTS of it. When you get married, its when to have kids.
Once you're expecting, its advice on E V E R Y T H I N G. Once the blessed bundle arrives, so does the steady stream of unsolicited advice from anyone who has ever been near a baby. So pretty much everybody, right?

How does one handle unwanted advice from family? So far it's been advice on every aspect of how to rear a child. More recently, however, advice on what to feed and when. I know this stuff is specific to child, but its impossible to fend off the advances of those closest to you and their advice b/c they are there so often and are more than willing to repeat it! A lot. I mean, its really difficult to tell somebody who shaped who I am today "thanks for the advice, but I'll stick with medical research and the MD knowledge of our pediatrician" without sounding like I'm completely ignoring them. Ugh. I'm guessing this is just what the rest of my days as a parent will be and I should just settle in and practice my blank stares and "uh huh, thanks" so I at least seem to be not a complete jerk.

That's tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment