Friday, March 20, 2009

A change indeed

A spring retreat. That sounds nice. I definitely agree with my adirondak friend that it's about time to find a little something to break up the monotony of daily adult life. While my exhaustion comes from only one job, there's enough of it to go around. These days, work has been exceptionally busy, bucking the national trend. Aside from being busy, it's been an increasingly difficult pill to swallow. One of those things where people tell you you're good at what you're doing, but you don't really agree with them. at all. It's definitely a challenge to show up some days with any sort of decorum or vigor for the work that we do. It's not to say anything against working here, because it has truly become a great place to work. Obvious exceptions exist, but such is the modern workplace..especially in studio format.

I just am slowly building up a full bag of "what exactly am i doing?" Some days, I'm content. I think, well...I can do this forever, its not that bad. Others, I'm so completely disgusted that I want to quit THIS INSTANT. The vast majority of the days, I am completely ambivalent. It's an odd place to be. I read somewhere that a good majority of people are unhappy doing what they do on a daily basis. I won't say I'm unhappy, but I'm uncomfortable and could be MUCH happier. But how? Doing what? How do you decide?

I love being outside. I love plants. I love cooking. I love people..........well...sometimes I love people. I guess it all depends on which of my personalities reports for duty at any given time. My thought: A bakery/coffee shop where I grow herbs and veggies outside (or on a rooftop garden) to supply my baking needs. Gardening AND cooking. And coffee. Must have coffee. Sounds like a winning combination. But it also sounds like tons of work and lots of hours away from my girls. And also, opening a business is extremely expensive and difficult. And the failure rate is unfortunate.


Such is my delimma.

Well, life could be worse...and I'm a lucky guy to have a great family to make me want to wake up to and come home to every single day. Maybe they'll give me the inspiration to figure this crap all out. until it's all sorted out, I'll just continue to take pictures that remind me of the simple beauties in life.


enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I could comment for like 10 years because oh man there is so much I agree on! But I think you just inspired a new blog post... so consider my next blog post your comment. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. J - why didn't you tell me you started a blog? and if its purpose is to vent about work I so want to hear it!
    The Quarter-Life crisis continues...

    ReplyDelete